Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Nationwide Oscar Predictions / Results

They're off!
They're on!
After the runaway success of the Nationwide BAFTA Predictions (6 out of 20!) here are the Nationwide Oscar Nominations, the biggie. The mutha. The one where nationwide asserts a finely tuned knowledge......or is it? Scores in pink.

Best Actor
George Clooney in "Michael Clayton"
Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood"
Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd..."
Tommy Lee Jones in "In the Valley of Elah"
Viggo Mortensen in "Eastern Promises"
If Daniel Day Lewis doesn't get this I'll, I'll...be wrong. On a good day, they'd all get it, and deservedly so, but that ain't gonna happen, is it? So DDL will get it. Just you wait an see.

Have I ever been wrong? (Er, yes)
Yes!!
Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck in "The Assassination of Jesse James..."
Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men"
Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War"
Hal Holbrook in "Into the Wild"
Tom Wilkinson in "Michael Clayton"
Certainly I'd love to see Philip Seymour Hoffman get it, fantastic part, brilliantly played with swagger and bitterness, but Casey Affleck was the real star of "Jesse James". So he gets it.
No doubt.

Boo!!
Best Actress
Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
Julie Christie in "Away from Her"
Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose"
Laura Linney in "The Savages"
Ellen Page in "Juno"
The Academy wouldn't give to a foreigner would they? Everybody LURVES Ellen Page but I'd really like Laura Linney to get it and share the glory with Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Boo!!
Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett in "I'm Not There"
Ruby Dee in "American Gangster"
Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement"
Amy Ryan in "Gone Baby Gone"
Tilda Swinton in "Michael Clayton"
Ruby Dee wasn't on screen long enough for me, she was outstanding but I hope Tilda Swinton gets it.
Hurrah!!
Best Animation
"Persepolis"
"Ratatouille"
"Surf's Up"
Ratatouille. If only for the backgrounds.
Yay!!
Art Direction
"American Gangster"
"Atonement"
"The Golden Compass"
"Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
"There Will Be Blood"

Authenticity? (American Gangster/Atonement/Blood) or swagger? (Golden Compass, Sweeney Todd). And the award goes to.........Sweeney Todd, for swaggering ostentatious over the topness. (no it won't)
Hurrah!!
Cinematography
"The Assassination of Jesse James..." Roger Deakins
"Atonement" Seamus McGarvey
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" Janusz Kaminski
"No Country for Old Men" Roger Deakins
"There Will Be Blood" Robert Elswit
Roger Deakins! Roger Deakins!! Yay!!! Go Roger! Go Roger!

Er, boo. I wanted Roger to get it. Or Seamus.
Costume design
"Across the Universe"
"Atonement"
"Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
"La Vie en Rose"
"Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
Well no matter how important a green/little black dress is, you can't win Oscars for them. Elizabeth....they spent all that money.
Hurrah!!
Best Direction
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" Julian Schnabel
"Juno" Jason Reitman
"Michael Clayton" Tony Gilroy
"No Country for Old Men" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
"There Will Be Blood" Paul Thomas Anderson
Everybody just loves the Coens right now.
Hurrah!!
Documentary feature and Short Doc
No idea. I mean really. Not a clue.
OK, er, Sicko. Go Michael!


Editing
"The Bourne Ultimatum" Christopher Rouse
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" Juliette Welfling
"Into the Wild" Jay Cassidy
"No Country for Old Men" Roderick Jaynes
"There Will Be Blood" Dylan Tichenor
It can ONLY be Christopher Rouse, a masterpiece of editing. Although if Roderick Jaynes gets it, I'd love to see who collects it. (Spoiler folks : he doesn't exist). Seriously, Bourne is in a league of its own here.
Hurrah!!
Best foreign language film
"Beaufort" Israel
"The Counterfeiters" Austria
"Katyn" Poland
"Mongol" Kazakhstan
"12" Russia
The Counterfeiters by a country mile. A masterpiece.
Huzzah!!
Makeup
"La Vie en Rose"
"Norbit"
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"
Disney's Pirates has godda get something and this would be neat.
Ooer, boo, I suppose.
Original score
"Atonement"
"The Kite Runner"
"Michael Clayton"
"Ratatouille"
"3:10 to Yuma"
Both Kite Runner and 3:10 were given an emotional intensity by their scores that worked for me, so I'd give it to 3:10.
Boo.
Original song
No idea. Haven't a flippin clue mate.

Best motion picture of the year
"Atonement"
"Juno"
"Michael Clayton"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"
The Coens will get it. Unless all that marketing spend on Atonement does the trick.
Yay!!
Sound Editing
"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"No Country for Old Men"
"Ratatouille"
"There Will Be Blood"
"Transformers"
Ratatouille must have been a nightmare to edit, but I'd stick it to Bourne again, lay it on thick.

Yay!!
Achievement in sound mixing
"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"No Country for Old Men"
"Ratatouille"
"3:10 to Yuma"
"Transformers"
PLEASE don't give it to No Country - I could barely make out a damn word they were saying! Bourne again please.

Yay!!

Visual Effects
"The Golden Compass"
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"
"Transformers"
I know it was a giant toy advert but for those of you lucky enough to se Transformers, this is the award it should get. It was stunning. But I'll bet the Academy doesn't think so. Optimus Prime! Optimus Prime!
Die!!
Adapted screenplay
"Atonement"
"Away from Her"
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"
This is difficult for me since I haven't read any of the original books (or part books in the case of Blood) but since I liked all the scripts, but have to opt for one, I'd say the most satisfying story was Atonement.
Boo.
Original screenplay
"Juno"
"Lars and the Real Girl"
"Michael Clayton"
"Ratatouille"
"The Savages"
There won't be a dry eye in the house if Juno gets it, and all of America realises that your dreams can come true, you can rise from the streets and win an Oscar! Yo!
But wouldn't it be just fabulous, in a heart warming kind of way, if the real story of most people's lives, caring for their dying parents, got it?
"Are you the savages?" Best line, but one of many.
Yay!! (on the assumption I actually chose Juno)


A fantastic result on 19 categories where I professed to know something, if not someone, the score is 12 yeses and 7 nonos. I hereby offer my services to The Academy.






.

9 comments:

Harriet Hamster said...

You did well Nationwide

HH

Nationwide said...

I would like to thank.....Mellanie Bellamy, the OG crew, my writers, make-up, drivers and credit card companies, without whom..etc etc

Anonymous said...

Monty's bum
Terry Wogan's cock-a-doodle do
etc, etc ...

Nationwide said...

And my hairdresser. Taylor Ferguson. His contribution has been very important over the years. I wouldn't go anywhere without my coiffe.

Harriet Hamster said...

yes you are Swiss Tony
I claim my five guineas

Nationwide said...

No, I am a Bruce Forsyth lookey likey. Didn't I do well??

john said...

Congratulations on both your insight and on the very user-friendly colour-coding.

I missed the entire caboodle, and now consider myself fully apprised. Did you have a gamble on your predictions? You can put me down for the Nwide Tip Subscription Premium Rate Hotline. I'll have better luck with you than I do with ITV Play.

Anonymous said...

Did you get a Brucie Bonus ?

Nationwide said...

The user friendly colour coding was developed by a team of up-to-the-minute graphic designer types who wear black and carry small lapdogs while talking into their blackberries all day. They assured me that this was an award winning graphic design.
I didn't have a bet, no, I spend all my money on Premium Bonds.